This article explains the requirements for a computer to be used in combination with a HP Reverb G2 virtual reality headset. It also explains how you can test whether your current computer is VR ready.
The HP Reverb G2 is a VR headset made by HP, Microsoft and Valve. The predecessor of this VR headset, the HP Reverb G1, attracted the interest of many gamers, while the headset was actually not specifically intended for that. In the development of the HP Reverb G2, the wishes of many gamers were taken into account. This is an interesting development, especially for business VR arcade companies.
Read more about the HP Reverb G2’s specifications, price and benefits.
How to easily check whether your current computer is capable of handling virtual reality applications
It is useful to run a software test to determine whether your current system is powerful enough to use virtual reality. This can be done simply by downloading the Steam VR Performance Test from the Steam store.
This application automatically measures the power of the computer using a two-minute VR demo. Also, with this app you can easily determine whether your computer can run VR at 90 FPS (frames per second) or whether an upgrade of the GPU or CPU is required. Afterwards you will be shown in a graph how suitable your computer is.
HP Reverb G2 and your PC
The requirements for the computer are comparable to the HP Reverb G1 that was launched in 2019. While you may not need the most powerful computer, the most inexpensive computers probably won’t work either. Below is a list of minimum requirements for a computer that can support running applications on the G2.
- Processor: Intel Core i5, i7, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5, equivalent or better. AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or better
- Memory: 8 GB RAM or more (For most VR games we recommend a minimum of 16 RAM)
- Video out: DisplayPort 1.3
- USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 Type C
- Power: USB Type C with power supply or supplied power adapter
- Operating system: Windows 10 May 2019 update or later
- Graphics: DX12 capable graphics
Graphics Cards running HP Reverb G2 at full resolution:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER, NVIDIA GeForce 2080 Ti
- AMD Radeon RX 5700, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, AMD Radeon 7
Graphics Cards running the HP Reverb G2 at half resolution:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660ti, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
- AMD Radeon RX 580, AMD Radeon RX 5500XT, AMD Radeon RX 590, AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT, AMD Radeon RX Vegaon56, AMD Radeon
If you have further questions about the Computer requirements for the HP Reverb G2 VR headset?
Please contact one of our experts who will be happy to help you.